Friday, August 26, 2005

AP World History

My 7th period at Provo High is AP World History with a guy named Mr. Murphy. When I signed up for the class I had no idea what I was in for, I thought it wouldn't be that hard, but I had never taken an AP class before. I was late for class the first day of school because I was out eating lunch a little late. Well when I walked in I was given an odd stare by Mr. Murphy. Not knowing what to do I blurted out my name, guessing that's what he wanted. He replied immediately with a "Did I ask?" and I quickly said "no". "WHY ARE YOU LATE FOR MY CLASS?!" Mr. Murphy yelled at me, and I quickly answered "I was at lunch, I'm sorry it won't happen again." He lectured us on random facts of history for the rest of the period.

On the second day of class I was on time, thank goodness. He began by telling us about how hard the class was going to be. He gave us our textbooks and after we got them he said "You have two textbooks for this class, the one before you and your notes". He then walked over by the door and pointed to a rack near it. He told us that that rack was for all of his other classes. Then he turned around and pointed to three large racks under a counter that were full of paper and said "these three are all for you". Then he had a guy go to the back of the room and pull out a huge binder full of what looked to be around 300 papers. He told us that that binder would be our second textbook and then explained to us that we would be getting roughly 85 handouts per term. It was then that I realized just how hard this class was going to be.

The third day he was talking with a girl in the front row the he doesn't really like very much, it was very funny. He asked her if she had ever been to hell and she said "yes, once" and he replied "well, welcome back."

I have always hated history, I always thought in my history classes "This is so boring, why do we care about some stupid dead people?" I don't know why or how, but Mr. Murphy makes history interesting and I think I will like it for the first time in my entire life.

4 Comments:

At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke...I just love you so much. I am so glad that you enjoy history now and that your teacher is going to make it interesting for you. I hope your sophmore year of school is great. You know when I was your age...well...that is another story for another time. Just know, I didn't make of it what I could have. Like I have told you before...you have a great head on your shoulders, and you will go far. Just never forget who you are, and what you stand for. I sure do love you...make it what you can, while you have it.
Love,
Shae

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Leah Jean said...

Haha! I didn't know you had Murphy? He's way nice...you just need to get on his good side (or so I've heard...I've never actually had him). Have fun with those 85 handouts this term!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger dalene said...

Luke--Mary Robinson says to tell you to hang in there with Murphy--you will learn tons. She also said if you ever get in trouble with him again just ask him if he remembers your older sister, Mary. (She got it even worse than you did on the first day of class.)

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Sister Pottymouth said...

Guess who our AP history teacher was when I was at PHS? Kent Lott. Yes, good ol' Brother Lott who sits in the back of the chapel every Sunday. I never did take his class. Nice blog, by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home