Saturday, August 27, 2005

My Awesome Car


Over the summer I bought a 1972 Chevorlet Caprice for $600. I know, $600 is very cheap for a car, and at first I was very skeptical about how well it would run. I couldn't drive it the day we found it, so my dad drove it. He took it on the freeway and tested the V8 engine in it and said yes. So I paid for it, but on the bill of sale it says that the car belongs to my mother, which really makes me mad when I paid every last cent for it. I think it was worth it, a great car for a cheap price. The transmission in it is a little bad, but that can be fixed. And it really needs a new paint job, but it would probably cost me more than I paid for the car to paint it because there are so many rust spots. I just turned 16 on August 4, and for my birthday I got a sweet new radio/cd player in it and new speakers, it's awesome.

It's a sweet car, but the biggest downside is the gas mileage. It gets between 10 and 13 miles to the gallon, and with gas prices going as high as they are I will not have very much money left by the time I graduate, if it lasts that long. Maybe I will get a new car that gets better gas mileage before I graduate, but I really love and appreciate this car cause I paid for it.

A year later (August 2006)...
My dad took it in to get the transmission checked because we were having problems with the reverse and got some bad news. The guy told him that the reverse is pretty much gone and there are only two working gears in it. So I'm selling it to my uncle Rodney to put in a demolition derby, pretty sweet stuff....

4 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger Sister Pottymouth said...

There is nothing like having a car that is paid for. Congrats on the new wheels. Do you have a name for it yet? My husband called his first car "The Meat Wagon." (You'll have to ask him why.) Maybe you could call yours the "S.S. Chick Magnet." :-)

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Geo said...

Hurray for no monthly payments! I bought a car for my in-laws once for a whole dollar.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Tyra Shortino said...

Indeed Julie. Whatever troubles it may have caused you, buying a car and paying for it all by yourself is really sweet. But yeah, I guess it was time to let go of your car. Have you got a new ride? Hope you can post a photo of it. :)

Tyra Shortino

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I totally agree with Tyra’s statement. Buying a car on your own definitely makes you feel all grown up. It is a very different kind of responsibility, but I’m sure you were very eager to experience it. I’m sorry that you’ve given up the car, but what a finish it had if it did go in a demolition derby!

Arlyne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home